28 Jun Resources for LGBTQIIA+ Friendly Practices
To fully serve the needs of the diverse individuals within the LGBTQIIA+ community, healthcare providers must understand the challenges they face when seeking care, and learn how to organize their treatment in a way that affirms their sexual orientation and gender identity.
The more informed healthcare professionals are, the more comfortable LGBTQIIA+ patients and families will feel when it comes to accessing healthcare. In order to create a more welcoming environment, it is essential to look at each aspect of your practice. See below for some valuable resources.
- American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) – The AAP has created an LGBT Resource Center for Pediatricians and includes strategies for your practice to be inclusive as well as information to share with parents, patients, and staff.
- NextStep Solutions (NSS) – There are so many actions you can take within your practice to ensure that LGBTQ+ individuals feel welcome and supported while they are under your care. To learn more, you can find several valuable resources in this blog article from NSS.
- Stonewall Book Awards – Here is a list from the American Library Association of books that were awarded the Stonewall Book Awards for “English language books that have exceptional merit relating to the LGBTQIA+ experience.”
- Gender and Pronouns – Here are some resources you can share with kids and learn along with them about Expression, Attributes, Misgendering, etc. These links come from GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network) and ADL (Anti-Defamation League).
- Electronic Health Record (EHR) Solutions – As patients share their Gender Identity with you, you’ll want to record this and mark it as Confidential, if needed. Ask your current EHR vendor if this is something their solutions provides, or consider looking into one who has this ability.